BUILD District of Columbia
Download District of Columbia's 2015 BUILD State Profile
BUILD State Inception Year
BUILD State Lead
Elizabeth Groginsky, Office of the State Superintendent of Education, firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Childhood System
Early Childhood Governance Structure: The District of Columbia’s Office of the State Superintendent of Education’s Division of Early Learning (DEL) mission is to ensure that all District of Columbia children, from birth to kindergarten entrance, have access to high quality early childhood programs and services that prepare them for success in school and life. A key function of the DEL is to provide leadership and coordination both within and outside the government to facilitate collaborations in pursuit of better outcomes for the District’s youngest children, particularly children who face multiple risk factors to their learning and development.
Top 5 Early Childhood Areas of Focus in 2015
- Revisions to licensing standards.
- Implementation of Quality Rating and Improvement System.
- Strategic alignment in the Division of Early Learning.
- Developing an alternative cost model to the Market Rate Survey for setting child care payment rates.
- Launching the use of the Early Development Instrument, a population based measure of school readiness, with Pre-K through 4th grade teachers in the District to track the impact of early learning policies and programs on child development over time.
BUILD 2015 Areas of Focus
- Consultation on revisions to licensing standards.
- Assistance with key issues related to the implementation of Quality Rating and Improvement System.
- Guidance in the strategic alignment planning for the Division of Early Learning.
- Development of communication materials related to the Division of Early Learning.
- Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership State Grant - $900,000 state annual grant
- MIECHV Grant - $1,000,000 formula grant for FY 2015
- Head Start State Collaboration - $125,000
- Health Resources Service Administration - $104,000
- Child Care and Development Block Grant - $10,900,000
- Individuals with Disabilities Act (Part C) - $2,600,000
State Funds Supporting Early Childhood Programs/Initiatives
The Quality Improvement Network (Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership) is supported by $1,800,000 of local funding to support three neighborhood based hubs that are working with a network or centers and homes in the District to help them achieve Early Head Start (EHS) quality. The Network will reach over 400 low income children and families, of which 200 will be EHS eligible.
State Government Leadership
- Governor: N/A
- State Legislature: N/A
- Mayor: Mayor Muriel Bowser (D)
- City Council: Chairman Phil Mendelson (D)
Key State Document of Interest
Why Invest in DC's Youngest Citizens?