SECTION 2: ASSESSMENT & PLANNING
Assessing Community Need and Capacity
These resources and tools will support the collection of data to define and outline problems, resources, and readiness within a geographic area to address needs and gaps.
Additional resources are included to support the ongoing assessment of community needs, resources, opportunities and capacity.
- Community Assessment and Reassessment of Early Childhood Needs and Resources – This assessment tool supports partners to gain a better understanding of how young children and their families are faring and where assistance is needed. This assessment is separated into two main sections: I. Condition of Young Children and II. Condition of Our Community.
- The State of Your Community: Basic Needs, Assets and Gaps – This resource considers community demographic information alongside comparable data for your state and includes guiding questions to determine gaps and priorities.
- Community Assessment Checklist - The community assessment checklist is designed to assist in completing the community assessment process and serve as a self-monitoring tool.
- Community Assessment Template – This template offers a suggested outline for the information to cover and design of a community assessment report.
- List of Data Elements and Resources - This is a resource list of data elements to consider when trying to understand how and where to improve access to early childhood experiences for high needs families, and a list of reliable data sources.
- Data Guide – This guide includes additional community assessment indicators to consider.
- Program Inventory – This tool includes variables such as target population and type of services provided by a program with sub-tools designed to consider the best evidence based programs to match need. Current version uses home visiting as example of inventory.
- Strategies for Collaboration: Programming Inventory – This tool allows you to complete a resource map of programs/services, by listing barriers, needs, and challenges.
- Adapting Interventions for Culture and Diversity – This series of questions, covering different culture and diversity factors, supports conversation on ensuring planning and programming is responsive to the diversity of the community.
- Early Childhood Iowa Area Board’s Fiscal Assessment - This tool supports collaborations in assessing services present in the community, relating this to the source of funding and assessing the level of collaboration of the program/organization.