SECTION 2: ASSESSMENT & PLANNING
Developing and Using a Strategic Plan
These resources and tools support collaborations to develop a comprehensive strategic plan that includes policies, programs, and practices for creating a logical, data-driven plan to address identified problems.
- Components of a Strategic Planning Process – From vision and mission to objectives, strategies and action plans, this tool offers a blueprint for moving from dreams to actions to positive outcomes.
- The Strategic Planning Process – This resource provides a detailed overview of the strategic planning process, including agenda items, from Virginia Smart Beginnings (p 6-13).
- Strategic Planning Checklist – This checklist is a guide to support the implementation of the strategic plan.
- Strategic Plan Template – This sample framework lays out the results of the strategic planning process in a narrative form and is suitable for ongoing communication about the work.
- Performing a SWOT Analysis – A tool for reviewing an organization’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
- Planning and Reporting – This sample reporting tool, with definitions of each variable, can support benchmarking against the strategic plan outcomes and activities.
- Sample strategic plans
- Strategic Plan – This example is one goal of a full plan for a Cradle to Career Coalition.
- Ionia County Strategic Plan – This example is a strategic plan for a Michigan Great Start Collaborative.