July 11 - 13
BUILD 2023: Strengthening Systems, Improving Quality, Advancing Equity
We are thrilled to welcome you back to an in-person meeting for BUILD 2023. The opportunity to network and connect with like-minded colleagues from across the country is what makes this conference special. The conference theme—Strengthening Systems, Improving Quality, Advancing Equity—speaks to the challenging work we are doing to build and sustain high-quality, comprehensive, early childhood systems that are equitable and meet the needs of all young children and their families. Over three days, you will have the opportunity to participate in over 150 sessions exploring (1) access to high-quality programs and services, (2) leadership development and capacity-building, and (3) sustainability and improvement in programs and systems. You will learn with colleagues, hear from experts, and discuss questions and ideas about topics including continuous quality improvement, prenatal-to-age-three, data and evaluation, workforce development, finance and investments, and equitable systems-building. At BUILD 2023, we hope you find solutions to challenging problems, fresh ideas that move work forward, and inspiration that reignites your passion.
Conference Goals – Attendees will have opportunities to:
- Engage with colleagues to discuss new research and innovations in creating an early childhood system that is highly inclusive, promotes equity (including the equitable distribution of resources and access), and meets the needs of multi-racial, multi-lingual, multi-cultural young children and families, many of whom have been historically discriminated against and have had and/or continue to have opportunities limited due to racism. Explore what still needs to be done.
- Delve into how best to partner with families and providers to ensure their voices inform the design and implementation of approaches to support their needs and interests.
- Discover cross-system (e.g., early learning, health, and family supports) approaches to meeting whole-child and whole-family needs.
- Collaborate to develop strategies to improve recruitment, retention, compensation, and professionalization of a workforce as diverse as the children with whom they work.
- Share strategies to re-invent state Quality Improvement Systems (QIS) in early care and education to ensure that they are racially equitable, supportive of providers/teachers and program improvement, and family friendly.
- Develop personal leadership and communication skills to strengthen the good work that individuals and teams do for young children and their families.
Attendees of BUILD’s annual conference include a range of public- and private-sector early childhood leaders as well as corporate and non-profit sponsors and funders. Leaders include cross-system representatives, state education, health, and human services leaders, child care and QIS administrators, Head Start state and local leaders, technical assistance providers, coaches and mentors, quality improvement specialists, advocates, policy makers, evaluators and researchers, higher education faculty, and early childhood systems leaders at the national, state, territory, tribal nation, and community levels.
Early Bird Registration is now open at a rate of $550
The registration rate increases to $650 on March 24 at 9:01 PM EST.
Pre-conference sessions will be an additional $175
BUILD 2023 Schedule-At-A-Glance
Sponsors’ Exhibitions will be opened during breaks and meals from Tuesday, July 11 at noon through Thursday, July 13 at 10:30 AM.
|Tuesday, July 11|
|7:30 - 8:30 AM||Breakfast for Pre-Conference Participants Only
|8:30 - 12:00 PM||Pre-Conference Sessions (Pre-Registration Required)|
|12:00 - 1:00 PM||Box Lunches available for purchase|
|1:00 - 3:15 PM||Welcome and Opening Plenary Session|
|3:15 - 3:30 PM||Break|
|3:30 - 5:00 PM||Breakout Sessions|
|5:15 - 5:30 PM||First Timers Meet-Up prior to reception|
|5:30 - 7:00 PM||Sponsor's Reception|
|Wednesday, July 12|
|7:00 - 8:00 AM||Breakfast|
|8:00 - 10:00 AM||Intensive Breakout Sessions|
|10:00 - 10:30 AM||Break|
|10:30 AM - 12:00 PM||Topical Breakout Sessions|
|12:15 - 1:15 PM||Lunch and Role Alike/Hot Topic Discussions|
|1:15 - 1:45 PM||Break/Transition|
|1:45 - 3:15 PM||Plenary Session|
|3:15 - 3:45 PM||Break|
|3:45 - 4:45 PM||Hot Topic Discussion Sessions|
|4:45 - 5:00 PM||Break|
|5:00 - 6:00 PM||State Team Time|
|Thursday, July 13|
|7:00 - 8:30 AM||Breakfast|
|8:30 - 10:00 AM||Topical Breakout Sessions|
|10:00 - 10:30 AM||Break|
|10:30 - 12:00 PM||Plenary Sessions|
|12:00 PM||Meeting Concludes|
Visit the registration site for the agenda, logistics, hotel, and travel information.
Click here for the BUILD 2023 Session List. Sessions Are Currently in Final Revision and Titles May Change Slightly. Final Title Names and Descriptions Will Be Posted in May.
Click here for pre-conference session descriptions.
If you’re interested in sponsoring BUILD 2023, please contact Ingrid Molinares.
Empowering the Early Childhood Workforce with the Environment Rating Scales Using LearnERS
Archived Webinar March 20, 2023
The ECE workforce is facing a staffing crisis and needs support. During this webinar, a panel of experts from Arkansas, New Jersey, and Rhode Island shared how they use LearnERS to support and empower the ECE workforce.
A Whole Family Systems Approach to Promoting Stability in Minnesota: A Conversation Between Mayors
Video March 16, 2023
In this video, a Mayoral panel have a conversation about their different approaches to guaranteed income work.
A Whole Family Systems Approach to Promoting Economic Stability in MN: Kasey Wiedrich
Video March 16, 2023
Kasey Wiedrich is the Financial Capability Manager in the Office of Financial Empowerment for the City of Saint Paul, MN. In this video, Kasey shares about the guaranteed income work happening in Saint Paul.